Monday, January 29, 2007

Coping methods for postpartum depression and PMDD

I have used several different methods to cope with the symptoms of PMDD and the after-effects of having PPD. Initially, I used anti-depressant medication, counseling, and made sure I was around girlfriends at least once a week. This was all very important most especially as I went through my third (and much better) postpartum experience. I have also participated in yoga classes and done yoga in my home.

I say all of this because I want to emphasize the great variety of ways to manage PPD and PMDD symptoms (PMDD is not uncommon after having postpartum depression). I have looked into some dietary options such as adding more Omega 3's to my diet. This is apparently known to have some positive effect on moods, though I don't have facts prepared for this entry. More on another day! I do frequently put ground flaxseed in my hot cereal in the morning. The good news is this doesn't have any added weird flavor at all. I still need to do better with taking my Omega 3 suppliment, but I'm sure that would help too.

The thing I have probably found to be the most helpful has the been the yoga. I intend to offer more in future entries about this topic. However, I can say right away that it has helped me shift my mental focus from "poor me" to "wonderful me and others." The breathing focus is soothing and the physical activity is great. And it's comforting to hear so often that where you are with your ability to do poses and breathing is all OK. Not judgemental, it's a full process.

So, all of this is food for thought. I am sure there are other ways women have coped with their symptoms, or learned new ways to enliven themselves after coming up from depression. I would like to hear anyone else's thoughts of this.

Erika

No comments: